I’ve heard through the grapevine (the grapevine being my 17 year old brother) that this thing called PROM is fast approaching for those fresh-faced high school senior types. Having done the whole dress, hair, make-up thing not so long ago myself, I thought I’d offer up some advise as well as outfit inspiration.
1. Do not spend more then $100 on your dress. You can definitely rationalize why you think you should (“I’ll wear it again!”, “Prom is only once”, “It may be $250, but I need it in my life”), but when it comes down to it you will not wear this dress again. It will either sit in your closet only to be brought out to play dress up or it will be donated. This is not an investment piece.
2. Try out the trends. When I was looking for my prom dress, I was obsessed with finding something that would be ~*timeless*~. Don’t get me wrong, my dress was cute but prom is not your wedding day. It is a night to show off how hip, young, and funky you are. Plus, if you don’t abide by the trends, what will your future children make fun of you for?
3. Eat beforehand. The food will be disgusting. If your group/date isn’t planning on dining before you go, make sure to at least have a sandwich or something. Hunger is not cute.
4. Take a picture of your made-up face with flash before you that the official pics. When I was doing my makeup for prom I decided to test out Benefits High Brow. Thinking that this was a product to make your eyebrows stay in place all night long, I put the product on top of my brows and not directly underneath them like you’re supposed to. I saw that they basically just made them white, so I wiped it off but that didn’t change the fact that the flash from the cameras brought out the sheen and whited-out my eyebrows. Now, in almost all my photos it looks like I have no eyebrows. So, yeah, take test pictures.
5. If you wanna dance, go shorter. Long dresses are not made for dancing ladies! If you like to boogie, wear a dress that shows some leg. Or go jumpsuit (that works in the whole trend thing as well)!
6. Don’t put to much pressure on the night. There’s a lot of hype for prom, but please don’t buy into it. If prom really is the most magical night of your life, then something in your life has gone horribly wrong. Just kick back, relax, and enjoy a night looking fancy with your best buds.
2. Backless Jumpsuit *
* = What I’d wear.
Enjoy kiddies. Also, for your viewing pleasure, a picture from my very own prom.
(You see what I mean about the eyebrows, yeah?)